What is bluetooth hacking? How to prevent it?
Bluetooth Hacking: As wireless devices have become popular, the use of Bluetooth technology has become a common scenario. From earphones to smartwatches, everything is connected by simple Bluetooth technology, but if there are advantages to the technology, there are also disadvantages.
Keeping Bluetooth turned on when not in use can be dangerous, as devices can be hacked.
What is bluetooth hacking?
Bluetooth hacking is a technique used to obtain information from another Bluetooth enabled device without the permission of the host. This event occurs due to a security flaw in Bluetooth technology. Bluetooth hacking is not limited to mobile phones but is also used to hack laptops, mobiles and desktops.
Not only that, Bluetooth hacking can be done in many ways. Below are the three common hacks:
As the name suggests means airborne spread, BlueBorne is an attack virus that spreads through air and enters a device via Bluetooth and can then take full control of the device. The targeted device does not need to be paired with the attacker’s device or even set to discovery mode, only if the Bluetooth on the phone can be hacked.
Bluesnarfing is when the hacker pairs with the user’s device without the user’s knowledge and steals or compromises your personal data. The attackers use tools like bluediving, which can be used to test Bluetooth devices for known vulnerabilities and important things to hack into the device.
Since discovery mode is a default setting on many devices, hackers can take control of the device, i.e. listen to calls, read and send messages, and steal contacts, this is BlueBugging. This is done by pairing the device via Bluetooth.
Budget 2023: What pay grade do taxpayers want from Modi govt?
How to know your device is hacked?
– Unknown software installation, text messages you didn’t send, purchases you didn’t make, suspicious phone calls.
– The device works more slowly, uses much more resources and battery power and gets hotter than usual. Malware running in the background can significantly reduce power.
– Mysterious data usage peaks without changes in usage on the part of the individual. Malicious processes can consume mobile data in the background.
– Apps that don’t run as they should, turn off and on unexpectedly, or crash or won’t load.
– If one notices that many pop-ups appear on your screen, it is probably spyware or malware.
Tips for protecting Bluetooth devices
Two devices can be paired when they are relatively close in distance, giving hackers an opportunity to intervene. These are some safety tips that individuals should follow:
– Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when not needed, especially in public places.
– Do not accept pairing requests from unknown devices
– Make sure you always have the latest system software
– Ensure that a device purchased has adequate security features
– Change the Bluetooth settings to not be detected
– Always disconnect other devices after sharing
– Use two-step authentication
– Secure Bluetooth with password
– Stay away from open Wi-Fi and always use Virtual Private Network (VPN)
India’s Q2 GDP data to be released today: What estimates say