Learning how to use Dynamic Island on an iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max may sound like we’re teaching you something pretty basic, but there’s more to this feature than you might think. An upgrade on the notch familiar to many iPhone users, the Dynamic Island consists of two cutouts for the selfie camera and Face ID sensors as well as a surrounding interactive area that can display information.
Many apps are starting to use Dynamic Island and it has quickly become one of ours favorite functions on the new iPhone 14 Pro models. It will certainly be interesting to see the different ways Dynamic Island can be implemented as a growing number of developers learn how to best use it. In fact, with iOS 16.2 adding more features for Dynamic Island, let’s sit back and walk through how to use Dynamic Island on an iPhone 14 Pro.
How to use Dynamic Island on an iPhone 14 Pro or Pro Max
1. Often the animations displayed on Dynamic Island are simply informative, such as when you use Face ID to unlock your iPhone. In a case like this, you just have to do it wait for the animation to complete.
2. But there are circumstances when you can interact with Dynamic Island. For example, you can play a song in Apple Music or Spotifythereafter close the app and you will see the tune playing on Dynamic Island. If you tap Dynamic Islandyou can open the app again.
3. Wait, though. There is more. Press and hold Dynamic Island and you may find that it expands. In the case of a music app, you’ll see a set of controls that let you pause, play, use AirPlay, and more.
4. It is also possible to have two apps using Dynamic Island at the same time. In this case, the Dynamic Island will be split in two, and you can either press to see more or tap to open the app depending on their function.
5. You can also use a feature called Live Activities which is great if, for example, you want to follow an active sports score. It will update Dynamic Island in real time. Live Activities are also used by a growing number of parking, flight, fitness and task apps, among others.
Read our full guide on how to adjust Live Activities on your iPhone.
6. It is also possible to close Dynamic Island so that it does not display any information. Just gently touch the edge of Dynamic Island and swipe inward. The black area will still remain (you can’t get rid of it), but you can Gently swipe back out towards the edge to bring the information back.
And there you go. You now know how to use Dynamic Island on iPhone. Dynamic Island is sure to become more useful and fun as developers get to grips with it. If you want to read more iPhone guides and really get the most out of your iOS device, we have plenty of guides to help you out. Learn how to screen record on iPhone to capture your greatest mobile gaming moments. Make sure you know how to attach a file in iOS Mail so you can always send important documents at a moment’s notice. Discover how to eject water from an iPhone, in case you drop yours in the toilet. Learn how to clear RAM on iPhone to speed up backups when things get a little slow. And check out How to Cast Harry Potter Spells on iPhone if you’re a little bored of muggle life.