How to remotely access Android phones
In situations where you need to help someone over the Internet, it can be inconvenient to communicate back and forth. Instead, it would be easier if you could just access the device and perform the necessary actions yourself.
Fortunately, it is possible; you can remotely access a device such as an Android phone. You can achieve it through various apps, some of which are available as a built-in feature and others need to be installed on your devices.
How to access an Android phone remotely?
While Link to Windows feature is built-in on your PC, you may need to install the apps on both your Android device and your PC. Some also require you to create an account to use their services.
On the other hand, use them only with the device owner’s permission and don’t consider doing anything unethical.
Using Phone Link
If you have a Windows device, you can use the built-in one Telephone link app to remotely access your Android device. However, there is a caveat; you must connect both devices to the same network.
While some modern smartphones already have the feature in the Settings app, you can download it from Play store change.
Nevertheless, make sure your Android OS is version 7 or higher. Also update your Windows device to the latest version to support the above feature.
- To open Link to Windows app on your mobile device.
- If your phone has the feature built in, you can access it from Notification panel or manually from the Settings app. (Connected devices > Connect to Windows)
- Start Telephone link on your Windows device.
- On Windows, select Got started.
- Then you check I have the Link to the Windows app ready checkbox.
- Select Couple with QR code to connect your phone and PC using the QR code.
- Alternatively, you can choose Pair manually to connect the two devices using a PIN code.
- Press Connect your phone and PC on your Android device. Then press on Continue.
- Use your phone to scan the QR code on your Windows device.
- Grant different permissions like contacts, calls, SMS messages and photos/media according to your preferences when your phone prompts you by tapping Allow option.
Once your devices are connected, you will see “Your phone and PC are connected” phone screen, and “You are ready” on Windows. Using the Phone Link app, you can now read messages, access media files and folders, contacts, or even make calls on your phone.
Unlike the Phone Link app, you can control an Android phone with another Android phone or a PC using the TeamViewer app. Moreover, it offers additional features such as arranging a meeting and chatting with another connected device.
Step 1: Set up TeamViewer on mobile and PC
- Download and install TeamViewer for Windows on your PC and
TeamViewer QuickSupport on your Android device.
- Open the QuickSupport app on your mobile and tap Agree and continue to grant permissions to the app.
- Also, grant access to the app in your device settings when prompted.
With the above steps, you need to have the code for each connection. To access the device without a password/code, register for a TeamViewer account and enable the Allow easy access option on the TeamViewer desktop app.
Step 2: Connect the phone to the PC and control it remotely
- To start using the app, you need to share Partner ID is displayed on the mobile with the PC. You can do so by pressing Send my ID button.
- Now open the TeamViewer app on your desktop and enter the code received from your mobile device. Then click on Connect button.
- Press Allow on the phone to grant access.
- When a new window appears on the desktop, select Remote control tab and you can start controlling your mobile device.
- Click File transfer at the top left to copy or move files from/to the mobile device.
- You can also use The chat section to send/receive messages.
- To disconnect, click Interrupt on the desktop. Or tap the cross icon on the mobile app.
In case you want to access your PC from your mobile device, you can do it through a similar process. However, you need to use another mobile app called “TeamViewer Remote Control.”
With AirDroid, you can remotely control the camera, contacts and files of your Android phone from a PC and receive all notifications on it. In addition, it also has a Find phone feature that you can use to find your phone if it is lost or stolen.
To start using it, you need to create an AirDroid account. You then log in with the same account on both mobile and PC.
- Download and install AirDroid desktop app from AirDroid official website. Here we use the personal AirDroid version.
- Open the desktop app and click on Sign up button.
- Create a new AirDroid account with the required details. Make a note of it as we’ll need it to log in with this account later.
- Download and install the AirDroid app from the Play Store on your mobile phone.
- Sign in with the same account you created earlier in both the desktop and Android apps.
- Press Me tab and select Security and remote functions on the Android app.
- Turn on the permission for various services like files, camera, screen mirroring, contacts, etc.
- Press Remote control.
- To remotely control your Android phone with your PC, your phone must be rooted. As a workaround, you can install AirDroid’s control plugin for non-root use. For this, press Download and install.
- Then go back to the Airdroid app and tap Grant permissions under the Remote Control section. Then grant the necessary permissions in the Settings app.
- Launch AirDroid on your PC and sign in with your AirDroid account.
- Select Remote control icon (looks like binoculars) from the sidebar.
- click on Remote control button.
- Now you can remotely control your phone from your PC and take screenshots, record the screen and transfer files. You can also use the mouse to scroll around the phone screen.
How to know if your phone is remote?
While you can remotely control your phone at will, hackers also attempt to take over your phone secretly. Suspicious activities such as unknown apps installed or payments made without your knowledge are telltale signs that your phone has been hacked.
If you want to know more in detail, you can see our other article on How to find out if your phone has been hacked.