While Samsung may be best known at AP for its incredible Galaxy smartphone and notebook lineup, the Korean tech giant is the largest TV manufacturer in the world. Samsung’s entire smart TV lineup as well as the M-series displays are powered by the company’s Tizen OS, which comes with a dedicated app store.
Samsung smart TVs come with built-in apps like Samsung TV Plus, but the Tizen OS platform lets you download thousands of apps from affordable streaming services to Facebook. If you’re the proud new Samsung Smart TV owner, we’re here to help you find and download, and even remove apps from your streaming lineup.
How to download apps on your Samsung smart TV
Samsung TV has some of the best streaming apps like YouTube, Netflix, Sling TV, ESPN and more. You can follow the steps below to install relevant apps on your smart TV.
- Turn on your Samsung smart TV and press Home button on the remote control.
- Slide left to Apps Menu. Click Select (standard circular button on the TV remote).
- Check out our editor’s picks, downloaded apps, and other apps in relevant categories like News & Weather, Smart View Enabled, Apps to Kill Time, and more.
- Open a relevant category and select the app.
- You can check the app details, screenshots, ratings and related apps from the following menu.
- Hit Install to download the app on the TV.
How to move your favorite apps to the home screen
Once you’ve added more apps to your Samsung smart TV, you need to pin your preferred apps to the home screen. You should go through the steps below to place your favorite apps on your home screen for easy access.
- To open Apps menu on your Samsung smart TV (see steps above).
- Scroll to the Downloaded Apps section.
- Long press an app and select Add Home.
- Repeat the same for all your favorite apps.
- Go back to the home screen and the apps you use frequently are ready to view.
- Long press an app and select Move.
- Use the left or right keys on the Samsung remote control to arrange apps.
How to lock important apps on your Samsung smart TV
While it sounds convenient to access thousands of hours of content, you should prevent your little ones from accidentally scrolling through sensitive movies and TV shows on your Samsung smart TV. Tizen OS allows you to lock such apps.
- Go to Apps menu on your Samsung smart TV (check the steps above).
- Select Settings gear in the upper right corner.
- Select an app and click Lock.
- Enter a 4-digit PIN code to lock the app. You will see a small lock icon next to such apps on the home screen.
You should save the PIN code in a password manager. You can unlock apps from the same menu.
How to activate automatic app updates on your smartTV
Developers regularly release app updates to add new features and fix bugs. You should enable auto-update for your installed apps on your Samsung Smart TV.
- To open Apps menu and go to Settings (check the steps above).
- Move to the top right corner to enable auto-update.
How to delete unwanted apps from the TV
Most smart TVs from Samsung come with only 8 GB of storage space. Of these, a large part is reserved for Tizen OS and system apps. Over time, you may run out of storage space on your smart TV. Dealing with less space on your Samsung TV leads to a below average experience. You should delete unnecessary apps from your Samsung TV.
- Move to Apps menu from the Samsung smart TV home screen (check the steps above).
- Select Settings gear in the upper right corner. You can check the storage breakdown from the top.
- Select an app and click Delete from the drop-down menu.
- Confirm the same from the pop-up menu.
Can I download apps on a Samsung TV with a Galaxy phone?
Android TV lets you install compatible apps right from your Android phone. But the same is not available for Samsung smart TVs as they run Tizen OS. Still, installing apps from the default store shouldn’t take much of your time.
When it comes to third-party apps, there are lengthy solutions to install apps that are not available in the standard store. But you should avoid such methods as these apps are not made for your Samsung smart TV and may not work as expected with the remote control. It’s best to stick with the apps and services available on your Samsung smart TV.
Unlock the true potential of Samsung smart TVs
Apart from support for rich apps, all Samsung smart TVs come with a hidden gem called Samsung TV Plus. It’s the Korean giant’s streaming service that lets you access hundreds of live TV channels for free. You can read our dedicated post to learn more about Samsung TV Plus.
You can also connect a top streaming device to your Samsung smart TV if you are not satisfied with the Tizen OS experience.