There are many good reasons to take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4. One of the most unique lies right on the outside of the clamshell design: the small 1.9-inch screen right next to the camera lenses.
While this screen can be used to quickly check the time or see the latest notification that just came in, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 (opens in a new tab)The outer screen can be customized to display various widgets and additional information that prevents you from opening the phone as often.
How to customize the cover screen on the Galaxy Z Flip 4
Out of the box, customizing the cover screen is as easy as tapping and holding the screen to bring up the carousel. No extra apps or steps required!
- Flip open your Z Flip 4 and unlock it.
- Pull down the status bar and tap settings icon Upper right. It looks like a gear.
- Scroll down to and tap cover screen.
- Select clock stylethen follow the next screen to customize the clock on the deck screen.
- Press finished when you are satisfied with the watch style.
- Back to cover screen settings, select widgets.
- Select the widgets you want on cover screen. These are the panels you’ll swipe between when the phone is folded.
- Press reorder button at the top right to change the order of the widgets. The further down a widget, the further you have to scroll to the right on the cover screen.
Once you’ve customized your cover screen, you can always change the order of the widgets right from the cover screen without having to open the Z Flip 4.
- To rearrange the order of widgetsdouble tap the cover screen to wake it up.
- Tap and hold anywhere on the cover screen to activate customization carousel.
- Long press the widget you want move and leave the left or right until it is in the order you want.
- Release the lid and press back arrow at the top left to save the changes.
How to use full-screen apps on the Galaxy Z Flip 4
In addition to custom widgets made for the cover screen, you can actually use full-screen apps on the Flip 4’s cover screen. To do this, you need to download the Samsung Good Lock app from the Galaxy Apps store.
- Turn on and unlock your phone.
- Swipe up on the home screen to open app drawer.
- Press Galaxy Store.
- Press the search button at the top right and enter Good lockand then press the search key on your keyboard.
- Select and install Good lock.
- Open Good lock from your app drawer.
- Press the tab at the bottom called Lived up.
- Scroll down to Multi-Star and select it.
- Install Multi-Star from the next screen.
- Navigate back to Good lock app.
- Press Multi-Star to open the Multi-Star module. It should be at the top of the list in the Life Up tab.
- Press I <3 Galaxy Foldable from the list.
- Press Widget for cover starter from the list.
- Press plus sign and select all apps you want to run on the cover screen.
To access these apps, double-tap the cover screen to wake it up, then swipe over until you see the app listing. Tap the app you want to launch.
Keep in mind that most Android apps will be difficult to use on this small screen. Your experience will vary greatly with most apps. For example, it’s great to play Pokemon Go on the cover screen when you’re just walking around, but you’ll probably want to open your phone when you’re battling or doing something more complicated than just catching Pokemon.
Get the phone that actually fits in your pocket. The Galaxy Z Flip 4 can be folded in half, so you can still get a large screen without all the bulk. Now with better cameras, a faster and more power-efficient processor and all-day battery life.