These images show a reclusive loner rambling in a viral video about having his mobile phone “hacked” as he is confronted live on Facebook about why he had trawled social media for underage girls.
Father-of-one James Caine, 40, was humiliated by pedophile hunters when they questioned him about sexually charged texts he had sent to three undercover detectives posing as a 13-year-old girl.
Despite one of the investigators later calling Caine’s phone to prove they had sent messages, Caine engaged in a series of confusing explanations to deny wrongdoing – even when shown an explicit message he sent to the decoy complete with profile picture his.
As detectives who traveled from Newcastle showed his social media page full of pictures of scantily clad women and overseas porn models, Caine of Golborne, near Wigan, Greater Manchester, took a cigarette and claimed: “I’m not the best person but I’m not that bad.
He insisted: “My phone must have been hacked. It must have been cloned. What else can I say? I haven’t done anything wrong. It’s not me. I’m not a pervert.
The video filmed by operators from the Child Online Safety Team has been viewed 77,000 times.
James Caine, 40, said he wasn’t so bad when he was confronted by pedophiles after they discovered he was looking for young girls on social media
It emerged that Caine had sent explicit messages to three undercover detectives posing as a 13-year-old girl
Details emerged at Wigan magistrates’ court when Caine, who has since been denied by his family, finally admitted attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child.
He was given a 12-month jail term suspended for two years after revealing he was now living alone in a Travelodge hotel 40 miles away in Crewe.
He was ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for ten years and abide by the terms of a sexual harm prevention order indefinitely.
Miss Jane Rapin, prosecuting, said: “On August 26 this year the defendant sent a friend request to the account of one ‘Freya Kirk’ which was a decoy account.
Late in the evening, when she accepted the request, the defendant sent her a message saying “hello beautiful”, Freya replied saying she was 13.
“The defendant quickly turned the conversation to a sexual nature, asking her if she touched herself and also asked if she could send him pictures of herself.
On 28 October the defendant went ahead with making plans to meet Freya.
He sent her a message with several pictures of his face and genitals and asked if she wanted to be his girlfriend.
He also described in detail how they wanted to have sex and said he would like to cook for her. In his last message, the defendant said how he would like to meet Freya and take her for a ride in his car.
The defendant’s messages were posted on the pedophile’s website and his identity was revealed. The group reported him to the police and on 30 October he was arrested.
Caine’s (pictured outside Wigan Magistrates Court) family have since kicked him out of their Warrington home, he now lives in a Travelodge. He was given a 12-month prison sentence suspended for two years and was forced to sign the Sex Offenders Register for ten years
Caine had been using social media apps like Facebook to find young girls. in August, the defendant sent a friend request to the account of a ‘Freya Kirk’ which was a decoy account created by investigators
Miss Rapin added: “When the defendant was later questioned at Wigan police station, he claimed that his phone had been hacked and that he had not sent the messages.
“However, someone known to the defendant came forward and told the police that they were with him when he sent the messages.
“He read a prepared statement during police questioning saying he ‘only uses social media to connect with people online.’ I have not met anyone in person and had no intention of doing so.’
Caine had a previous conviction from 2012 for burglary with intent to steal. His barrister Louise Barrow, mitigating, said: “He made requests for photographs from the victim and accepts that he is in contact with her but has said on several occasions that it was never his intention to meet. He says this because in the message he refers to picking her up in a car when he doesn’t even own one.
Miss Rapin said: “He says this suggestion was nothing more than a stupid message he sent when he was drunk.
“His behavior was highlighted on the social media page of a pedophile group and this led to a very unpleasant outing where he and his home address were identified.
“He has suffered a lot of abuse and as a result both of his sisters, with whom he used to live, have disowned him and he now has no fixed abode.
“He has been back to his previous address in Warrington to collect some items but is no longer welcome there, in fact the last time he went to the address he was severely assaulted.
“He is now living in a Travelodge in Crewe and was advised by the probation service to stay away from his former area.
“It is clear that the defendant has a problem with alcohol and this, as well as the recent death of his father, has caused him to become very isolated.
“He has a daughter who he desperately wants to reconnect with and he has also since quit all social media platforms.
“Everyone has washed their hands of him and he feels very low, although he is not trying to make any excuses for his actions.”
Caine told the hearing: ‘It was just a stupid thing I did online – I’m not that inclined.’
He was ordered to complete 30 rehabilitation activity days and a nine-month supervision order for alcohol treatment.
He was also ordered to pay £272 in costs and a victim surcharge.
He was registered on the sex offenders’ register for the next ten years and will receive a sexual harm prevention order for an indefinite period.