A young father has gone viral on TikTok after posting a video telling people about a little-known device that completely cured his 125-year-old home’s damp, mold and condensation problems.
His post, titled “How I Solved Our Damp, Mold and Condensation Problems”, has been viewed thousands of times on the social media platform in just one week, garnering nearly 50,000 “likes”. Using the name Willmill19, the father shared his tips aimed at people who have struggled with damp and moldy homes.
He claims that since installing a PIV (Positive Input Ventilation) unit in his attic, “mold never came back”. According to the Liverpool Echo, the video showed areas of his property which had previously been plagued by damp and mould.
READ MORE: Savvy shoppers cut their food bill to just £4 a week – here’s how you can do the same
He told viewers that his daughter’s room used to have a soaked wall and a window that was black with mold. He said: “I used to have a dehumidifier and tried all the little tricks with mold removers. But last winter I installed a PIV unit up in the attic.
“It takes filtered air from the attic and just has a constant blast of filtered air coming out. That little bit of filtered air will make the house ever-so-slightly positive pressure and constantly ventilate our house.” He said the PIV unit had reduced the humidity in the house from around 80 per cent to more normal levels of around 60 per cent.
WalesOnline reports that the PIV devices cost between £300 and £400, but TikTok users have confirmed that it is “well worth the price.”
One wrote: “My partner installed one in my Victorian house three years ago, it’s definitely the best £400 I’ve ever spent.”
Another user added: “My partner fitted a PIV in our old stone cottage because our bedroom walls were dripping in the morning. GAME CHANGER.” Phillip Bayliss commented: “Thank you for being a good citizen and helping other people learn about solutions they’ve never heard of.”
TikTok viewer Steve Nye added: “This is a game changer big time. I’m a housing manager for a medium sized social landlord. I’ll bring this up at the next meeting. Thanks.”
Since posting the video, Willmill19 has been inundated with questions about the running costs as well as assembly of the device. Since the first video, he has uploaded more to answer the questions.
The huge interest the video sparked came in the wake of the tragic story of Awaab Ishak, a two-year-old boy who died after prolonged exposure to mold just days before Christmas two years ago. His parents had been complaining to their housing association about the damp in their one-bedroom flat in Rochdale for three years.
Damning words from the coroner eventually led to the sacking of Gareth Swarbrick, chief executive of Rochdale Boroughwide Housing, the housing trust that had disastrously failed the tragic toddler.