Brighton & Hove Albion

Brighton & Hove Albion

It turned out to be another night of frustration for the Seagulls as they were held to a goalless draw by league newcomers Forest.

Like Tottenham and Brentford before, Albion took control for long periods, created plenty of chances – certainly in the first half – but couldn’t find the elusive goal their play deserved.

It was a result that gave the visitors just their second point of the trip, with Roberto De Zerbi still looking for his first win as Albion manager.

His side couldn’t have done much more and he would have been pleased with the way his players started the game, forcing a couple of corners and enjoying the lion’s share of possession. It was a sign of things to come.

Leandro Trossard saw plenty of the ball on the left and Albion’s first attempt at goal came after 13 minutes when the Belgian collected a Solly March cross on the edge of the box. He then went past Serge Aurier and Morgan Gibbs-White, only for Forest goalkeeper Dean Henderson to parry the fierce curling effort away for another corner.

By James Boardman

Roberto De Zerbi has seen his side take two points from their four games.

Albion continued on the front foot while Forest, looking to climb off the foot of the table, were reduced to rare forays forward, with striker Brennan Johnson looking the most likely exit.

At the other end, Joel Veltman could have done with a centre-forward’s touch as he fired his effort high over Henderson’s crossbar from inside the box.

Albion came much closer to breaking the deadlock shortly after the half-hour when a delightful sweeping team move saw the ball again fall to Trossard on the edge of the box. Head down, his sole focus was on hitting the target, but this time his stinging effort came back from the upright.

It was truly one-way traffic and another chance was missed moments later when a deft cross by Trossard was flicked narrowly wide by the head of Adam Lallana.

Henderson really earned his keep and he got down well at the near post to save March’s low drive before saving a first-time effort from Pascal Gross soon after.

The half ended with Adam Webster firing over as he reached for the ball, and by the time the break came, it would have been the visitors who breathed a sigh of relief.

By James Boardman

Lewis Dunk organizes his teammates.

The opening to the second half was a mirror image of the first, with Albion pinning their opponents back in their own half.

Veltman sent over a dangerous cross which a onrushing Welbeck failed to get on target, while a low Martian ball into the six-yard box was hacked to safety.

Johnson hit a rare effort wide for Forest, but as the game passed the hour mark and the game still level, Albion made a change. Tariq Lamptey replaced Lallana and filled the right wing-back position as March moved further inside.

Chances were few and far between despite the Seagulls dominating the game and heads were again in their hands ten minutes from the end when a Lamptey cross was teed up by Welbeck. The ball fell to Gross, but his close-range effort was again palmed by Henderson.

Albion kept probing, kept pushing for the opening goal, but unfortunately it never came. Forest and their fans were happy with the draw, the Seagulls not so much.

Line-up: Sanchez, Veltman, Dunk, Webster, Trossard, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Gross (Undav 85), March, Lallana (Lallana 64), Welbeck.

Unused substitutes: Steele, Van Hecke, Estupinan, Turns, Gilmour, Sarmiento, Enciso.

See also  5 amazing Nintendo Switch games still on sale

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *